The Wood House Early records show Richard Henry Wood was owner of this home in 1868. He was the third child, first son of John Howland Wood, one of the founders of Rockport. Richard H. Wood served in the Civil War with Company B, 29th Brigade Texas Militia for Refugio County (also known as Captain Daniel C. Doughty’s Spy Company) , was active in the Aransas Pass Land Company, handled the sales promotions in connection with the area’s land booms from 1890 to the turn of the century, was mayor or Rockport and the first commissioner over wildlife laws, appointed by Gov. Thomas M. Campbell in 1907. Richard H. Wood and Samuel B. Allyn, formed a partnership and acquired all of St. Joseph Island. This cattle partnership and ownership of St. Joseph Island lasted until 1915 at which time he and his son, Will Welder Wood, became the sole owners of the island. St. Joseph’s Island was sold by the Wood family in 1922 to Cyrus B. Lucas.
[map] [pin center=”1″ description=”The Wood House”]28.02473, -97.05152[/pin] [/map]