901 N. Austin Street, Rockport, TX 78382 , West side of N. Austin St. between Orleans and Cedar streets. (see map)
MARKER TEXT Built in 1903 in Old Rockport, this Cottage and Craftsman Style House is an early frame Bungalow surrounded by giant oak trees. In 1920, W.H. smith, grandson of early Refugio pioneers, bought this house where he lived with his second wife, their four children and his sister. In 1934, John Frederick Brundrett and his wife, Elizabeth, purchased the house. Fred was a rancher and the family ranched on 8,000 acres on Matagorda Island and later on Port Bay. The Brundrett’s were devout members of the First Presbyterian Church. The Brundrett’s remained in this house for 53 years, until Fred’s death in 1987 at age 99. This home is a symbol of the generations of influence on local history.