Named for Mirabeau B. Lamar 1798-1859, President of the Republic of Texas 1838-1841. Established in 1838; made a port of entry in 1839. Sacked by Union troops Feb. 11, 1864. Survived until 1914 but never flourished. Population 1,600 (1990) Today the former town of Lamar is remembered by its cemetery (across from the Lamar Volunteer Fire Department building). Although technically the “town” is more populated than ever, many of the houses are weekend residences and the town lacks a traditional center.
State Historical Marker Number: 3018