203 N. Magnolia St., Rockport, Tx 78382 (see map)
MARKER TEXT Born in 1846, Richard Henry Wood was one of the first residents of Rockport. In 1866, Wood partnered with James Doughty and built the first cattle pens, warehouse and wharf at Rockport Harbor. Wood ran his business until the 1919 hurricane destroyed many of his holdings. Wood was appointed Alderman in 1870 and later served as Mayor of Rockport. He also initiated the Texas Game and Fish Commission in 1907. The 1868 house exhibits many characteristics of Greek Revival architecture style, including its white color, columns and wide board and batten siding. Until his death in 1923, Richard Wood’s roles as a land developer, rancher and civic leader influenced Rockport’s early development and growth
The Wood House Early records show Richard Henry Wood was owner of this home in 1868. He was the third child, first son of John Howland Wood, one of the founders of Rockport. Richard H. Wood served in the Civil War with Company B, 29th Brigade Texas Militia for Refugio County (also known as Captain Daniel C. Doughty’s Spy Company) , was active in the Aransas Pass Land Company, handled the sales promotions in connection with the area’s land booms from 1890 to the turn of the century, was mayor or Rockport and the first commissioner over wildlife laws, appointed by Gov. Thomas M. Campbell in 1907. Richard H. Wood and Samuel B. Allyn, formed a partnership and acquired all of St. Joseph Island. This cattle partnership and ownership of St. Joseph Island lasted until 1915 at which time he and his son, Will Welder Wood, became the sole owners of the island. St. Joseph’s Island was sold by the Wood family in 1922 to Cyrus B. Lucas.