Rockport Harbor

In 1866, James Doughty and Richard H. Wood, searching for a safe harbor location to ship cattle, built pens and a livestock-shipping wharf on “Rocky Point”. Other wharves and pens followed. Soon, a regular schedule of Morgan line shallow-draft steamboats arrived with merchandise and departed with cattle and packery products. In 1888, the railroad ignited a boom in Rockport, prompting local businessmen to begin advertising a strategic harbor near the Gulf. They also pushed to deepen it and create a deep-water port, but the effort ended when Corpus Christi opened its port in 1926. However, abundant harvests of fish, oysters,

Read more

Rockport Seafood Industry

Rockport’s commercial seafood companies have been operating for more than one hundred years. By 1903, David Rockport Scrivner had opened a fish house. In 1907, it sold and became the Jackson Fish Company. A few years later, it sold again and began the Union Fish Company. The 1919 hurricane destroyed the Union Fish building, but it was rebuilt, and, in 1932, the building became a ship’s chandlery. About 1909, the Rockport Fish and Oyster Company was established. In 1919, Ford Jackson bought his brother’s interest in the Jackson Fish Company and changed the name to Jackson Seafood Company. Jackson added

Read more

Women’s Club of Aransas County

In March 1948, Mrs. Fred B. Hunt issued a call to organize the Woman’s Civic Club. One of the Club’s major early activities was financing a permanent building for the organization. Later that year, the recreation building for Humble Oil Company employees at Ingleside went up for auction, and the club put in a bid that was accepted. The building was then brought to Rockport in three sections by barge. The hip roof, rectangular plan building features a five-bay entrance porch with stone columns, banks of paired windows along each side and an Austin stone veneer.   [map] [pin center=”1″

Read more

Rockport Aquarium

Aransas County Navigation District began a program to improve the harbor. The Rockport Marine Laboratory began in 1935 aboard the houseboat Vivian. In 1947, a permanent building was constructed on the southeast side of the harbor to house the Marine Lab and an aquarium. [map] [pin center=”1″ description=”Rockport Aquarium “]28.02444371036406, -97.04743551984302[/pin] [/map]

Read more

Rockport Marine Lab

Established in 1925, The Aransas County Navigation District began a program to improve the harbor. The Rockport Marine Laboratory began in 1935 aboard the houseboat Vivian. In 1947, a permanent building was constructed on the southeast side of the harbor to house the Marine Lab and an aquarium.   [map] [pin center=”1″ description=”Rockport Marine Lab”]28.0244848322699, -97.0475805758906[/pin] [/map]      

Read more

Rockport Center for the Arts

In 1969 local artists, including Jan Wendell and Estelle Stair, formed the Rockport Art Association. Members of the association wanted a place to exhibit their work and offer art classes. The beginnings of the building fund came from the first Rockport Art Festival in July 1969. In 1978 Estelle Stair opened her gallery on Austin Street, and the Rockport Art Association found a home. Membership in the Rockport Art Association continued to grow and by 1981 the building fund had reached $80,000, which qualified it for a matching grant. On April 18, 1983 Tom O’Connor notified Art Association President Cam

Read more