Beginning March 21 through May 16, 2015, at 801 E. Cedar St., the History Center for Aransas County will present “Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence,” an exhibition developed by Humanities Texas, the state affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
On the frozen morning of March 1, 1836, 44 men shivered in an unfinished house in the tiny hamlet of Washington, Texas. They and 15 other men who later joined them, representing all the municipalities in the Mexican province of Texas, declared the territory to be a free and independent republic.
Through panels of photographic images and captions, “Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence” presents an expanded look at these 59 extraordinary men who brought modern Texas into being. Connections to local descendants of those original signers will also be on view.
The exhibition will be open and free to the public from March 21 to May 16, Fridays and Saturdays, 10 AM to 2 PM. To arrange group visits, go to www.aransashistorycenter.org or call 361 727-9214.
To view downloadable flyer, click signers-event-flyer.