Rockport Spirit Columns

The Spirit Columns, by Rockport artist, Jesus Bautista Moroles. Sculpted from Texas Red Granite, March 31, 1998. Plaque reads – To all the dedicated volunteers of Aransas County who constantly improved the quality of our lives, with special thanks for the Parade of Palms, to the Aransas County Clean Team, Jacqueline Covill, Founder.  

Read more

Fulton-Bruhl House

Built about 1868, this vernacular early Texas home was purchased in 1872 by James C. Fulton, a noted early business and civic leader.  Fulton sold the home in 1907 to his son-in-law, Albert L. Bruhl, a pharmacist and civic leader who served three terms as mayor of Rockport.  The home exhibits Greek Revival elements and features Italianate porch supports, a five-bay entrance, and oversized dormers.  It has remained in the Bruhl family for over eight decades.    Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1988  

Read more

Hoopes-Smith House

Prominent local businessman and land developer James M. Hoopes (1839-1931) had this home built between 1890 and 1892.  The home later served as a hotel and boardinghouse between 1894 and 1930.  It was sold in 1934 to T. Noah Smith, Sr. (1881-1955), a prominent oilman and shipbuilder.  Features of the Late Victorian Queen Anne home include milled woodwork, roof cresting, a turret, and stained glass windows.  It is regarded as a local landmark.  Recorded Texas Historic Landmark  – 1989 State Historical Marker Number: 2557

Read more

Rockport Big Blue Crab

The Big Blue Crab was originally a fixture on the DelMar Grill from 1957 through 1965. It was moved to Navigation Park in 1965, where it remained until 1976. The crab was constructed from Paper Mache, and met its demise in 1976 after it deteriorated beyond repair.  

Read more

Fulton Mansion

Built between 1874 and 1877 by George Ware Fulton (1810-1893) and his wife, Harriet Smith Fulton (1823-1910), this imposing residence was named “Oakhurst.”  The three-story French Second Empire style home is of plank wall construction, with a shell aggregate concrete basement and characteristic mansard roof.  The house featured modern heating, ventilation, and plumbing systems and gas lighting.  The Fulton family lived here until 1895.  Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1964 Born at Philadelphia, June 8, 1810; served in the Texan Army in 1836. A pioneer resident of Refugio County. After an engineering career of distinction elsewhere he returned to Texas

Read more