The Wood House

The Wood House Early records show Richard Henry Wood was owner of this home in 1868. He was the third child, first son of John Howland Wood, one of the founders of Rockport. Richard H. Wood served in the Civil War with Company B, 29th Brigade Texas Militia for Refugio County (also known as Captain Daniel C. Doughty’s Spy Company) , was active in the Aransas Pass Land Company, handled the sales promotions in connection with the area’s land booms from 1890 to the turn of the century, was mayor or Rockport and the first commissioner over wildlife laws, appointed

Read more

The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad in Rockport

During its early years Rockport relied on Gulf shipping for goods and services.  After the arrival of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad in 1888, however, the town’s economic focus changed to include rail shipping and a burgeoning tourism industry.  The town’s population grew from 600 in 1888 to 2,500 by 1890.  Businesses and hotels were built to serve the new tourism trade, and four trains arrived at the Rockport Depot daily.  By the 1940s passenger rail service to Rockport ended.  Freight service continued until 1985, when highway trucking replaced railroad service. (1994) State Historical Marker Number: 4522  

Read more

The Rockport Pilot

The earliest newspaper in this area was “The Vaquero,” published by Charles F. Bailey and Geraldo A. Beeman in St. Mary’s in 1868.  In 1869 Bailey moved to Rockport and founded “The Transcript,” which continued in operation until 1886.  Two years later “The Rockport Enterprise” began, and in 1916 it merged with the new “Rockport Pilot.”  Other local newspapers existed for short periods, but since its beginning “The Pilot” has been the area’s primary news source, focusing on Aransas County issues and events. (1990) State Historical Marker Number: 4327  

Read more

Moore House

Built in 1906, this house was the vision of James Edward (J. Ed) and Josephine Kennedy Moore. The two were married from 1903 until 1915, when Josephine passed away. J. Ed was a business owner who served several terms as Rockport’s mayor between the 1920s and 1940s. He was instrumental in establishing a yacht basin and a public beach park, both of which are still in use today. Moore also helped plan a modern sewer system for the town. He sold the house to family in 1943 and passed away in 1948. The Craftsman bungalow features a story and a

Read more

First Methodist Church of Rockport

The Methodist Church has been in existence in Rockport since about 1870.  The Rev. H. G. Horton was assigned as pastor of the Rockport church in 1872.  The original Methodist church building, erected at the corner of Live Oak and Bay Streets, was used by a number of other congregations until their own facilities were completed.  The Methodists relocated to this site in 1914 and later built new structures to meet the needs of the growing membership.  With an emphasis on educational programs, this church continues to be an integral part of the community.   (1991) State Historical Marker Number: 1767

Read more

Rockport Shipyards

Shipbuilding was a natural industry for Rockport. The earliest recorded ship built here was the Cannie, in 1880 by Bludworth & Company. In 1917, World War I prompted construction of a large shipyard at the south end of Water Street by Fred and C.A. Heldenfels. In 1935, T. Noah Smith founded Rockport Yacht and Supply Company (RYSCO) to repair commercial and recreational vessels. By 1940, the firm was building its own design of wooden hull fishing boats and in 1962 converted to steel hulls. RYSCO closed in 1986 due to high cost of diesel fuel and foreign competition. In 1941,

Read more