Beginning March 21 through May 16, 2015, at 801 E. Cedar St., the History Center for Aransas County will present “Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence,” an exhibition developed by Humanities Texas, the state affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities. On the frozen morning of March 1, 1836, 44 men shivered in an unfinished house in the tiny hamlet of Washington, Texas. They and 15 other men who later joined them, representing all the municipalities in the Mexican province of Texas, declared the territory to be a free and independent republic. Through panels of photographic images andRead more →
The holly and mistletoe will festoon the venues for the 2014 Rockport-Fulton Tour of Historic Homes – Saturday and Sunday, December 6-7, 1:00 – 5:00 PM each day. Seven venues will be decorated for the holidays. Each year different homes are featured on the tour to provide new experiences for the guests.
Docents in vintage dress appropriate to the house will greet visitors and provide a commentary. Historical facts about the homes and their owners will connect Aransas Pathwaysthe visitors to the real history of these local treasures.Read more →
The Aransas County Newseum: 145th Anniversary of the Rockport Pilot exhibit will feature a timeline beginning during the early days of Charles Bailey publishing the local newspaper, the Transcript, to the publishing era of Roy Rogero and Roy Wood, through today with Mike Probst serving as editor and publisher of The Rockport Pilot. The exhibit will include a timeline of history relating to the news of Aransas County from 1869 to 2014. Items related to publishing as well as the editor’s lives will be displayed. It will also feature exhibits showing ways gathering the news, publishing and dispensing the news has changed and yet stayed the same. Other exhibits, “Power of the Press” and “Keeping Rockport, the Charm of the Coast” feature headlines and editorials, which impacts decision-making in Aransas County.Read more →
August 19, 2014, the first of several Way Finding Signs was installed at the corner of Live Oak and E. Cedar in time for the Premiere Opening of the Connie Hagar “First Lady of Texas Birding” Exhibit. The Exhibit is presented by the Friends of the History Center for Aransas County made possible in part with a grant from Humanities Texas, the state affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities. The History Center will also be hosting some of our hummer guests.Read more →
Pathways Center, is the “go-to” place for information for all of the Aransas Pathways projects. These projects consist of: Birding, History, Kayaking, and Hike and Bike Trails. Pathways Center includes: pavilion with informational kiosks, an open center for meeting space, deck for relaxing and observation of Tule Creek and the adjoining nature site. The project also includes a bridge which connects the North and South sides of Tule Creek and Shellcrete Birding and Nature site.Read more →